Verdi’s opera Un ballo in maschera will be presented next summer in a concert performance, led by conductor Pier Giorgio Morandi and director Staffan Valdemar Holm. The performance concludes the 2024 Birgit Nilsson Days which will take place from 4-10 August on Sweden’s Bjäre Peninsula.
Next summer marks 60 years since Birgit Nilsson made an acclaimed appearance at Båstad’s tennis stadium – and as the role of Amelia in Un ballo in maschera was one of her absolute favorites – the Birgit Nilsson Days will celebrate with a performance on the same centre court, especially built for the one-off event with space for 3,000 opera visitors.
Un ballo in maschera features an international cast, who will perform once again with the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra and a choir comprising local singers from Bjäre and Helsingborg – all under the direction of Pier Giorgio Morandi, an expert in Italian opera who also led an acclaimed performance of Tosca at the Birgit Nilsson Museum last summer.
The 2024 event, like last year’s, is organized by the Birgit Nilsson Foundation – this time in collaboration with S & E Destinationsutveckling, Backahill and, as in previous years, the Birgit Nilsson Museum and Julius Production AB.
– With this form of collaboration and responsibility for our hometown we cherish a common cultural heritage and, by moving the stage to Båstad, we jointly create greater development opportunities for a holistic experience and new target groups, says destination developer Ingrid Lövkrona and CEO Johan Pagerup at S & E Destinationsutveckling, Backahill.
The Birgit Nilsson Days 4–10 August 2024
• Master Class in the Birgit Nilsson Hall, Ravinen in Båstad, 4–7 August from 10.30 to 16.30
• Master Class concert in the Birgit Nilsson Hall, Ravinen 8 August at 19.00
• Stipendium award and concert in Västra Karup church, 9 August at 19.00
• Un ballo in maschera, concert performance, center court, Båstad, 10 August at 19.00
Tickets will be released on 12 December at 10:00 at Julius Biljettservice.